Monday, June 13, 2011

FHE: What Max is Taking Away

 Child Number 5 graduated from high school last Sunday. This was a last minute development. We weren't sure until Thursday he would be able to participate in the Commencement Activities. Then he did not notify the Grandparents.

Just before the big event, Max was modeling his cap and gown. I asked him, now that he was on the threshold of grown-up-hood, what he felt he had learned from me. He said that he'd learned to think for himself and not to blindly accept what others were cramming down his throat.

Consider, if you will, free agency, the ability to think and choose and act for ourselves, is of such vital importance, it was the central issue in an attempted coup d'etat in Heaven! If that's the lesson my child is taking away from me, than I think I've done all right.

It was  a compliment and a relief, because my daily parenting prayer is, "Dear Lord, please don't let me screw this up!"

What lessons did you take away from growing up with your parents?

No comments:

Post a Comment