Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Wecipe Wednesday: Roasted Vegetables

You've probably noticed that the recipes I post tend to be high-carb, high-fat, high-sugar, comfort foods. Well, here's the thing...they call it comfort food for a reason. It makes you feel cozy and warm inside, either because of the actual ingredients, or because of the memories associated with the food. A dear friend taught me how to make these delicious vegetables one summer evening to go with grilled steaks. I have made them as a hearty winter side-dish and as a low-maintenance vegetarian entree. I'm just going to list ingredients, all of which are optional except the olive oil. Quantities are fudge-able. Just eye-ball it.

Roasted Vegetables
Potatoes (Russet, red, whatever ya got--I leave the peel on)
Onions
Carrots
Sweet potatoes
Onion soup mix
or Beef or chicken or vegetable bouillon powder
Montreal steak seasoning
or Salt and pepper
Olive oil
Heat oven to 425. Cut the vegetables into bite-size chunks and toss them into a roasting pan. I have a big family so I use my turkey roaster. Drizzle with olive oil. Stir to coat. Sprinkle with seasonings. Stir to coat. Roast it in the oven, Stir it every 15 minutes or so until vegetable are tender and potatoes have a nice golden brown glow. Time depends on how much you're cooking. I will sometimes throw a beef roast on top of the vegetables and cook it low and slow at 325 for 2 hours. Don't sweat it, it's just vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment