Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wecipe Wednesday: Patrick's Rice Pudding

This recipe is my 23-year-old son's specialty. I think I clipped the original version out of Family Fun magazine. We have tweaked it over the years, so I'm claiming it as ours. This dish is a dessert, it's a breakfast, it's been known to be served as dinner because it was a stormy night and it just sounded yummy. It can be served warm or cold. We usually eat it warm because we don't want to wait any longer.

Creamy Rice Pudding

3 cups cooked rice
3 cups milk
1 cup sugar (adjust to taste)
1/4 cup butter
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
nutmeg (optional)
raisins (optional)

Combine rice, milk, sugar, and butter in a medium saucepan. Stir constantly over medium-high heat until mixture boils and gets thick. This could take 20-30 minutes. Be patient; it's worth it. Beat eggs and vanilla together. Spoon a small amount of the rice mixture into the egg mixture. Add egg mixture and stir quickly so you don't get scrambled eggs in your pudding. Serve warm or cold with a sprinkle of nutmeg and some raisins. Comment below and let me know how you liked it.

4 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I may have to switch the raisins to craisins, though, and add a bit of cinnamon just because I believe if a recipe asks for nutmeg it means to add a touch of cinnamon, too. Or visa versa. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it is with craisins! I will sometimes soak raisins in hot water to plump them up a bit. Makes them moist and flavorful and a little more tender. Thanks for reading and sharing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure are. Hey Gentle Readers, check out Patrick's blog Can't Stay Put.

    ReplyDelete